Skip to main content

Dealing With Leaner Economic Times


Well, I sent my funding package confirmation to OISE/University of Toronto today. I am extremely grateful to be receiving funding, although this will cause a significant setback in my finances compared to previous years. The positive side is that I have the strong potential to get out of this degree relatively debt-free, if not completely debt-free. When I did my undergraduate degree at Carleton, I had a scholarship from the school, as well as a scholarship that my Dad had paid into. By time I graduated, I was $12,000 in debt. I was lucky though and I found work, so I was able to pay back the loan system of Ontario within the six-month grace period.

When I did my graduate degree at Concordia in Montréal, I ended up being $23,000 in debt. I was extremely fortunate to have a great common-law boyfriend at the time who helped me to pay off a lot of that debt. If you are reading this - I thank you to this day! At least I no longer have that sitting on my head. So, I guess I really should not complain because the goal ultimately is to make good money with this PhD, not to be in a ton of debt because of it.

My mother was also very supportive when I told her about my economic loss because she said "It's not like you're not working towards something - you're not sitting around." That was extremely kind of her and I appreciated the fact that she could acknowledge that I was already working hard with this degree, and also in fact loving every moment of it.

I am pushing really hard to try to get my committee together. I do not want to push so hard that I end up shooting myself in the foot. I guess it's just that especially since my dissertation is an extension of my master's research, I have written a book on the politics of black hair, plus been following the development of the topic over the 10, almost 11 years since I graduated from my master's - I'm rearing to go! I do not feel in the lost state that some other students may be in at various schools all over the world who enter a PhD program and do not know really what they want to do. Plus, I will be 38 in August and I have maturity on my side. I am the oldest person in the intake of my cohort.

So...the journey continues. Despite these comments - I feel very happy. It is quite unlike the depressive state I was in when I started my graduate degree at Concordia. I guess being in Toronto and living close to family, friends and coworkers really helps with that. When I went to Montréal, if it were not for the two lovely souls I knew from Ottawa who I lived with - I really did not know a lot of people when I first went there. Toronto is a great city and I really hope it recovers well from all of this chaos that has gone on because of G20. God Bless Toronto - we really need it right now! God Bless the World - we all need it all of the time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Zhara's Blog

Donna: What started your interest in hair? Zhara: I think for the majority of black women myself included, I've always been obssesed with a major interest in my hair! Lol. My hair has always been a forefront of never ending years of hair dilemmas and styles. Black hair is the most fragile and versatile texture in the world.This has made my hair journey an interesting one from being natural as a child to permed in my teen years with good and bad hair days that brought about emotions and experiences that lay down deep in the soul. A black woman can never escape her personal hair struggles unless she makes peace with it and works with her hair in tune with nature....thankfully going natural has definitley lead me to this path :) Donna: Tell me about your website? Zhara: It's actually more of a community of support and motivation more than a personal website per se. I joined a community online photo blog called fotki.com to document my personal hair journey among thousands of other

Dr Donna Math Allschool

Front Page Video